Friday, June 19, 2009

Oil City (Indie Fest, Sibley Castle), Titusville, Erie Zoo and Presque Isle

Spent another wonderful week in Oil City and surrounding areas..While it was raining and generally miserable back in Philly, we were in Oil City enjoying the wonderful late spring days, full of sunshine and warmth.

On a Friday night we ate at the Wanango Golf Club, where I took this picture of the 18th hole from the clubhouse porch. I had a bone in Filet, first time, and it was really great! Andrew had the Prime Rib and he enjoyed that as well.

Next day was the Second Saturday open studios at the National Transit Art Studios as well as the Oil Region Indie Music Fest. After our bike ride into Franklin for lunch, we went to Seneca street, which was closed down for the Festival. Apparently, the local businesses were able to set up out in front offering food and all kinds of wares. The highlight was the Indie Fest. Local musicians performed on a stage on the street or down Tin Pan Alley while Local Artists demonstrated their talents--pottery wheels whirring and 3-d glasses on festival goers noses. Later, we had a great dinner, as usual, at the Yellow Dog Lantern Restaurant. Love that place! A gem in the rough..

Sunday, we went golfing at the Wanango Golf Club. A Par 71 course, I had 55 on the front 9 and probably about the same on the back...Hey, only second time I've golfed in 8 years! and the other time was last month! I was hitting the ball ok, but once in a while would have a major melt down... guess I need lessons from the local Pro!

Monday, Andrew went back to work in Buffalo and I decided to explore the area. First, went to Oil Creek State Park, where the Titusville-Petroleum Creek railroad is stationed. It wasn't running and there was a sign on the door, "If you are here and we are closed, it's because we need volunteers." I think it is running on the weekends, and I keep forgetting that is the very beginning of the summer vacation season..

Then on to the Drake Well Museum. This is the Birthplace of Oil! Got some nice pictures there and had my lunch. Nice place to visit.

I had decided to visit the Erie Zoo and then go see the sunset over Lake Erie at Presque Isle. I got some great pics at the Zoo and really enjoyed the sunset over Lake Erie. I will definitely want to go back there in the fall when the Monarch Butterflies are migrating!

The drive is not too bad, maybe an hour or so. Erie is a very spread out city, apparently the 4th largest in PA after Philly, Pittsburgh and Allentown.

Tuesday, I went on a tour of the Sibley Mansion, hosted by the Venango County Museum. It was nice. The grandeur was evidently there at one point, but was gutted by the previous owners. The grounds are magnificent and one can imagine the splendor.

I got some great pics..

Can't wait to move to Oil City....